Assembling Your Handmade Life
The Handmade Life is a partnership of career and learning specialists dedicated to transforming the process of career development for students, families and schools.
Through a combination of gift and talent testing, personality testing, individualized interpretation and holistic, comprehensive support, our programs:
- Give students the concrete tools they need to better understand themselves, including their natural gifts and talents, thereby developing the ability to make informed choices about their futures
- Help parents and teens become partners in choosing colleges, majors and careers by encouraging the development of a shared language and understanding about gifts, talents and personality
- Provide resources to school choice professionals and learning specialists
Most People Guess
Teens face a multitude of choices about career and future, and rarely do they all have it figured out in high school.
The majority make decisions about college and career based on current grades, where mom or dad did or didn’t go, and the well-intentioned thoughts of friends, family and others.
They make a best guess based on limited information and hope it will work out somehow. But there is another way.
Making Your Best Guess Better
As experienced counselors, we are leery of the notion that a young person should have it all figured out within the confines of their limited life experience.
But, with the information you glean from our Gift and Talent testing, you can make your “guesses” a lot better. Based on this self-knowledge, you can plan on coursework and other life experiences that will help you discover your true passion and purpose in life. For instance:
- Do you love playing or working on a team, or does the thought of a group project make you want to run the other way?
- Do you have a critical eye for design, quickly noticing what makes a space successful or problematic, or would you rather sit around arguing politics for hours?
- Do you work best with a meticulous plan or prefer the adrenaline rush of a down-to-the-wire dash to the deadline?
Questions like these spark thinking that helps students choose a major, a college or a career that excites them. And because this path matches their natural gifts and talents, they will find it easy to excel.
We offer one-on-one coaching and workshops geared toward teens and their families.